Full Rules for Shooting League
Rules for The Modern Sportsman League
- All guns are always loaded.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
- Identify your target, and what is in front of and behind it.
- Unsafe firearm handling will result in immediate Disqualification (DQ) based on the sole discretion of the RSO.
- Ear protection and impact resistant eye protection are required to be used by everyone.
- All firearms must be unloaded unless under the direct supervision of a RSO.
- Firearms will only be loaded at the firing line.
- Starting position will be a low ready with gun and hands on the shelve.
- Weekly events will be 50 rounds.
- Competitors may shoot in more than one class.
- The Line Is Hot means everyone is required to have Eye Protection and Ear Protection on.
- Load and Make Ready meaning that the shooter should load the firearm and have any additional magazines or speedloaders ready.
- Is the Line Ready? The only response is a negative if you or someone you have visible is not ready.
- Standby This command is given after there is no negative response given to the previous command.
- Whistle or Beep will be used to commence the course of fire.
- If Finished, Unload and Show Clear Maintain the Muzzle aimed down range, show chamber to the RSO.
- If Clear, Slide Forward or Close Cylinder and Pull the Trigger If the firearm fires, the shooter will be Disqualified. If the firearm had a magazine disconnect, an empty magazine will be inserted to allow the trigger to be pulled. After the magazine will be removed.
- Range is Clear this command will be used if no non-competitors are on the range.
FIREARM HAND USAGE
- Freestyle Shooter, at their discretion, may use either hand or both to control the firearm while firing.
- Strong Hand Only The Shooters dominant, primary hand may only be used to control the firearm during this stage. The weak hand may not touch the firearm, strong hand or strong arm. Failure will result in a 50 point penalty. Both hands may be used to clear a malfunction or to reload.
- Weak Hand Only The Shooters non-dominant hand may only be used to control the firearm during this stage. The strong hand may not touch the firearm, weak hand or weak arm during this stage except to clear a malfunction or to reload. Failure by using the strong hand will result in a 50 point penalty.
- Reloads Reloading will always allow both hands.
Scoring will be the total score on the target minus any penalty points.
Penalty points will be for use of the strong hand or weak hand when not allowed, time over stage allowed (5 points per second), and firing more than allowed number of shots (10 points per shot).
Scoring is at the discretion of the RSO scoring the targets.
All firearms and ammunition must follow range rules. Please verify the range rules prior.
- Revolver any production centerfire revolver with no modifications other than grips and iron sights, subject to range rules.
- Production any production centerfire pistol with no modifications other than replacement of sights with different iron sights.
- Open any pistol or revolver with modifications that do not allow the gun to be used in Revolver or Production. This includes use of an optic sight not in a factory position or factory open class guns.
- Optics any production firearm designed for a red dot sight and installed in the factory position.
- Pocket this class is for “pocket pistols” and revolvers of a size similar to a Glock 42/43, Sig Sauer
- 365/238/938. This will be determined prior to shooting on Week One.
This is a fun league and competitors will be expected to self-police the rules and maintain the spirit of the competition.